Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Foreign Food Festival Fridays

This all started when my husband and I were tired of celebrating the week's end by having pizza every Friday night with our kids. We weren't tired of our kids, just the pizza. So we decided that instead of a pie, the kids would pick a random country from around the world and I would search for recipes online, in cookbooks, from friends, basically anywhere I could get my hands on what seemed like authentic ethnic dishes. My goal was to pick at least three courses: a salad/appetizer, a main course, and a dessert. I had no idea what I was getting myself into!
The first week was easy. The kids picked China. My daughters got out the globe and showed my son where China is. I got out the rice cooker and made some fried rice. We had some frozen pork buns and dumplings already in the freezer (we eat Chinese food a lot anyway!), so I steamed those and voila, a complete meal. I think we had ice cream for dessert. It was a huge success. The kids loved it. They made little signs saying nihao and we broke out the chopsticks. Even my 5 year old who picks at his food like a sparrow, ate everything on his plate. We all had a great time and then watched a movie. The kids couldn't wait until next Friday. Unfortunately for me, the kids picked Tuvalu. "Tuva what?" I said. They showed me that it is an island nation way off in the Pacific Ocean. It took me all week but I did find recipes that I hope were close to authentic. Since that week we have had 38 different foreign food fests. This blog is our edible journey through the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment