Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Balsamic Black Bean Salad

Balsamic Black Bean Salad
I love beans.  I never did as a kid, but I guess my palate finally matured.  Now as a mom, I'm always trying to find new ways to infuse fiber into my family's diet. These tasty black beans do the trick.

Fun Fact:  Beans originated in the ancient America's some 8,000 years ago.

Balsamic Black Bean Salad


2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
1 tomato diced
1/2 cup green pepper diced
1/2 cup red pepper diced (can use orange and yellow too)
1/4 cup red onion diced
2 cloves garlic
2 scallions finely chopped
1/4 good balsamic vinegar
1-1 1/2 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
about 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
1/4 cup cilantro chopped

Put beans, peppers, onions, and garlic in a large mixing bowl.  In a smaller bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until sugar is dissolved.  In a slow stream whisk in olive oil.  Depending on the strength of the vinegar you may need to adjust the amounts of oil and sugar slightly.  Once oil and vinegar are thoroughly mixed (in suspension), pour over beans.  Stir in cilantro and parsley.  The salad can be eaten right away, but it is more flavorful if you let it sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.    

Kathy


3 comments:

  1. I like black bean salad. Very healthy abd filling. My wife likes Balsamic vinegar. Me, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made a Black Bean Soup and a White bean soup. This recipe for a black bean salad looks fantastic! Thanks. I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Stephen- you could probably substitute white wine vinegar instead.
    @ Gregg -Thanks. I love making bean soups too.

    ReplyDelete