Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Curried Squash Soup


I can't believe it has been so long since I last posted here!  It's not that we haven't been eating, just that I've been too lazy to get a decent photo (I'm not a food photographer!) and write up the recipes!  Well I hope to change that.  I'm hoping to at least post once a week for now.  


This had been one of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes, but for some reason the last couple years I'd forgotten about it.
I was digging through my recipe file (this sounds organized but in fact it's a big jumble of clippings and printed recipes!), and to my surprise I found it handwritten on yellow legal paper.  

I guess it pays to organize occasionally!

Curried Squash Soup

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, diced
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz stock, chicken or vegetable
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 T brown sugar
1 can coconut milk, with 1/4 cup reserved
olive oil
About 1 tsp salt or to taste
pepper to taste
cilantro as garnish (optional)

Heat olive oil in 6 quart stockpot over medium. Saute shallot and garlic until fragrant.  Add carrots, cayenne pepper, curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon.  Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly until fragrant.  Add broth and squash.  Bring to a low boil.  Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until squash and carrots are tender.  Puree until smooth.  Add coconut milk and stir.  Ladle into bowls and drizzle reserved coconut milk on top.  Garnish with cilantro and a dash of cinnamon    

Oh and if anyone has any tips on food photography I'd love to hear them!  Tell me what you've been cooking up recently!

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. What a delicious soup. I took some time to browse through the other recipes you have on your blog and pretty much loved them all. I'll be back whenever you post. I hope you have a great day.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete